Saturday, June 28, 2008

Thanks mom.

As I approach the oven from my sanctuary atop a step stool, reluctant to reach out and actually grab the tempura shrimp from the stove top, my nemesis sprints out from beneath the greasy black appliance, runs head first into the "wood" paneling on the far side of the kitchen and slithers his (or her) way into the cabinet under the sink. I take a deep breath and look around to see my mom's cooking supplies, her snacks and leftovers and various coffee cups (i don't drink coffee) spread out along the kitchen counters. Of course in my mother's mind it's my fault we have mice.

I've finally figured out exactly what it was that has bothered me so much about my mom these last 10 years. It's not the blatant hypocracy (although that doesn't help), it's the fact that she can't go 10 minutes without giving unsolicited advice. Uninformed, inaccurate, unhelpful, hypocritical, bad advice. Every tidbit of anything that she overhears or snoops out turns into ammo for her half informed AK47 of emotional destruction. For years she's been asking me why I never want to talk to her, why I never tell her what's going on in my life, and until now, I never really knew. But tonight, when she came to tell me about the ways I can be more careful as to "not attract rodents" it became painfully obvious why I moved out when I was 18, why I've talked to her as little as possible over the last 6 years and why it's so depressing being back here now. She's nosy and pushy and, an overwhelming percentage of the time, just plain old wrong. I'm getting a headache just thinking about it.

It's been a long week. I've spent a lot of time just thinking about how and how soon I'll be able to get out of here. More than once I've left the house and wandered aimlessly, just to get away from my mom's badgeresque behavior. On the bright side, I'm getting a lot of exercise and doing a lot of reading. On the not so bright side, I think I'm losing my mind.

6 comments:

Desiree said...

I'd take mice over roaches any day, even though the mice would be more likely to give me some sort of terrible disease. At least they are fuzzy. :- 3

I am trying to move out around the end of August. Let's escape our terrible mothers together. lol

Desiree said...

By the way. I totally thought you were talking about your mom in the first paragraph...um...I think I should have been tipped off by the fact that she could fit under the sink.

mommy dearest said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
TheLegend said...

irrational response? anonymous account? deleted!

Dorian said...

Deleting a critical comment that is not spam and is legitimately about the post's subject matter is a bitch move.

And it wasn't me.

TheLegend said...

While the comment was superficially related to the content of the posting, the poster drew "parallels" that I don't feel were legitimate.

Even taking that under consideration, if the account hadn't obviously been made exclusively for the purposes of making that one response and disguising the identity of the poster, i probably would've ignored it or maybe even responded to the comments. Oh, and I'm pretty sure I know who it was.