Monday, May 5, 2008

school spirit

It's spirit week at the school where I work and I'm proud to be one of the few staff members who indulged themselves with the possibilties of pajama day. I don't usually wear pajamas, generally passing out in whatever I was wearing that day, or alternatively, stripping down to my undies and crashing in those. Luckily my mom gives me pajamas every year for christmas, my birthday, or both, so I didn't have to show up to work in my boxers. I complimented my black and white checkered pj bottoms with a white snowman blankey safety pinned to a wife beater. I was going to grab a stuffed animal too, but at the last minute I decided against it, in favor of not having one hand occupied all day long.

I got lots of praise for my creative use of props and either a big laugh or a hanging jaw from most of the middle school students, which is pretty much what I was going for. I'm really loving my job so far and am really enjoying joking around/entertaining these kids. Every day I become more and more convinced that I'm going to want to work with middle schoolers when it comes time to choose a career. The elementary students are great too, but I enjoy my time with the middle schoolers much more.

There's still a part of me that wants to work in high school (or higher) athletics, and I'd definitely love to get paid to think about football (or baseball) all day, but I don't think it would send me home with a smile on my face the way working with younger kids does.

Spirit week photos coming up soon.

No comments: