Sunday, May 25, 2008

If it's only kinda broke...

So about a month ago I noticed that I was falling roughly 33% short of my goal of blogging in the neighborhood of three times a week. To correct this problem I decided to tweak my blogging schedule just a bit; find a time when I'd be a little bit more likely to sit down and write for a while, and see how that worked.

Those of you who have been paying attention may have noticed that that plan, in execution, didn't pan out quite the way that I had drawn it up. I'm actually kinda okay with that though. I think of myself as a bit of an explorer these days and I'm learning to be okay with trying out new ideas that, as is the nature of new ideas, don't always work out. It can be a little disappointing sometimes, it can and certainly has lead me into trouble , but it always gives me something to learn from. Every new experiment shows me what I can, can't, should, shouldn't, will or won't do and in a lot of ways, learning those things are worth the lumps that they come with.

For a long time in my life I was very content, which is exactly why I don't want to be that anymore. Contentment is lazy. Contentment is apathy. Contentment is the polar opposite of growth. If you're happy with what you have, you're not going to put work into improving it. Not to say that I'm not happy right now, I am- but it'd be ridiculous to assume that I couldn't be happier, so why not try?

A lot of people say that if something's not broke, you shouldn't try to fix it. I actually disagree. I think that if something's not perfect, then I should be doing everything I can to perfect it. I mean... why wouldn't I? Worst case scenario, it comes out worse than it was, and I go back to what I had before. My friends from baseball get a good chuckle out of the fact that I'm constantly tweaking my approach at the plate, my approach in the field, my approach on the basepaths, whatever. I'm always trying something new. My ideas come out a little goofy sometimes, but as it stands now, I'm one of best players in the group and my game is constantly improving. That's well worth the occasional strike out, a few missed blogs, and generally looking goofy every now and then.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's Thursday..... this post was last Sunday.... are you on a once a week schedule now?

TheLegend said...

sunday, tuesday, thursday night... saturday morning... in theory...